Becoming a highly effective English subject leader
Hertfordshire Development Centre, Stevenage, Robertson House, Six Hills Way
Theresa Clements / Kirsten Snook
Middle Leaders / New/Aspiring Subject Leaders / Subject Leaders
Academies and Schools (including EYFS)
English / Leadership and Management
This training is aimed at English subject leaders who are either new to the role or looking to enhance their contribution to improving English across the school.
Throughout the course, delegates will gain an in-depth understanding of the expectations of core subject leadership.
Delegates will develop their capacity to evaluate teaching and learning across a range of evidence to drive improvement throughout the school.
The key elements of English subject leadership will be explored through a spotlight on each of the different aims of the English curriculum: effective spoken language, fluent reading for meaning, writing for a range of purposes and vocabulary development.
This will enable subject leaders to deepen subject-specific knowledge and understanding. Delegates are expected to attend all five sessions of this training.
The aims of the course are to:
- examine the role of the subject leader to support delegates in proactively driving progress and improvements in English
- embed systems that will allow subject leaders to manage the challenges and create opportunities to drive standards forward
- create a valuable evidence base for school self-evaluation
- help delegates to consolidate their learning through a variety of school-based gap tasks
- deepen understanding of subject-specific content and explore strategies for promoting the aims of the English curriculum across the school
Tuesday 24 September 2019
Tuesday 30 June 2020
Monday 23 September 2019
Maximum places per establishment