Five reasons why we should teach mental maths to our pupils:
1. it develops deep conceptual understanding, increasing their overall understanding of number
2. it relieves cognitive load and frees working memory allowing them to focus on new learning
3. it is a critical life skill
4. it increases confidence in and enjoyment of maths
5. it will improve their overall achievement in mathematics.
How do we, as teachers, ensure that all pupils are provided with an enabling learning environment that allows them to develop varied, adaptive and efficient calculation strategies? This course is supported by the HfL Mental Maths progression document which provides teachers and pupils with a sequenced approach so that new knowledge and skills systematically build on previous learning.
Come and enjoy a day full of practical ideas that will ignite your pupils’ ability to work mentally with facts at their fingertips and strategies aplenty. This course is aimed at LKS2 teachers and is part of the suite of mental mathematics: the secret to success courses.