ESSENTIALspelling Year 3 - 2 Sessions Pre-recorded and Live webinar
Classroom Teachers / Early Career Teachers / Middle Leaders / Newly Qualified Teachers / Subject Leaders
Academies and Schools (including EYFS)
This course will take place on two dates: a pre-recorded session of 1 1/2 hours on 1st July (link will be sent in advance) 11.00 - 12.30 pm
A live webinar on Wednesday 8th July from 9.30 - 11.00 a.m. (link will be sent in advance)
Herts for Learning is pleased to be launching a brand new spelling resource- a scheme with a difference: Essential Spelling. With the heightened status that spelling holds in the Teacher Assessment Framework at KS2, leaders will no doubt be looking to raise the profile of spelling across their school. This is particularly relevant if there are a number of pupils across KS2 who are struggling within this area. Essential Spelling is a whole class approach to teaching spelling that enables all children to succeed and gives teachers the unique tools to make that happen.
Each year group receives a year’s worth of teaching sequences comprising: detailed plans; full explanations of the learning behind the teaching; ideas for activities; resources to help teachers deliver the sessions. Every sequence tracks back to review prior linked learning, enabling children to build on the foundations of previous year groups, and assisting teachers to identify gaps in learning. Every sequence shows teachers how to support the children who have minor gaps in their previous learning as well as those who have not secured the foundations needed for any given sequence. And, every sequence helps make spelling fun!
Special Offer: Book on this course to receive a discounted copy of the scheme for this year group.
• support teachers to plan spelling effectively to meet the needs of all pupils and help them secure age-related expectations by:
• introducing teachers to the principles and pedagogy behind ESSENTIALspelling
• demonstrating how to use the scheme and providing the opportunity to explore and discuss the resources
• exploring how to introduce the scheme once back in school
- a strong understanding of the national curriculum spelling requirements for the year group
- an appreciation of the priorities and weighting of each strand of the spelling programme of study and well as an understanding of the learning that needs to be in place in order to secure new learning for pupils
- confidence to implement ESSENTIALspelling
- knowledge of how to assess and plan for the whole class whilst simultaneously meeting the needs of pupils with minor or significant gaps
Delegate will need to watch the pre-recorded session first and complete short gap tasks.
Wednesday 1 July 2020
Wednesday 8 July 2020
Tuesday 30 June 2020
Maximum places per establishment