Year 1 Phonics Screening Check Project
Ruth Goodman / Kirsten Snook
Classroom Teachers / INCos/ SENCos / Subject Leaders
Academies and Schools (including EYFS)
The project is aimed at supporting schools in analysing historic screening check data and using this to fine-tune phonics provision in Year 1 to close gaps for as many pupils as possible, as early on as possible. As we know, success in the PSC is linked to later reading fluency and comprehension. We know that pupils may experience barriers to learning for a range of reasons. Unpicking these, and matching provision to individual need, is integral to closing gaps.
The project comprises two online training sessions. Between these training sessions participants will also receive an individual half-day consultancy session either in school or online, and come back together during the term for an online mid-point online cluster session.
Each school taking part will need to nominate a Year1 teacher/s and a school-based project lead.
- to conduct effective gap analysis using phonic screening check data
- develop teaching approaches that are proven in accelerating progress in phonics
- identify prevention strategies
- provide the school with a link adviser for support
- set up midpoint cluster meeting to share good practice amongst the participating schools
- provide schools with examples of resources, tools and strategies
- through tailored consultancy, the project teacher and lead will be able to make adjustments to teaching and provision based on needs analysis
The cost of taking part in this project is £620 (+VAT) for one classroom teacher and project leader. A contract will be issued outlining expectations and commitments of the school.
Thursday 7 October 2021
Thursday 9 December 2021
Thursday 30 September 2021
Maximum places per establishment