Martin Galway, Michelle Nicholson
Classroom Teachers / Middle Leaders / SENCOs
Academies and Schools (including EYFS)
Spelling is critical to success and confidence in writing. Spelling SOS KS2 is an innovative, fully resourced programme designed to have a swift and powerful impact on pupils’ spelling achievement in a short period. This eight-week programme includes four training sessions, diagnostic tests, lesson plans, and activities designed to support long-term retention.
Following successful implementation of the programme, targeted pupils will be on an improved trajectory towards EXS in writing at the end of KS2; have a more positive relationship with spelling; be more enthusiastic, confident spellers with an increased understanding and knowledge. Teachers’ subject knowledge will be developed, increasing the confidence to identify gaps and misconceptions, as well as the means by which to prioritise key learning areas to focus on for individuals.
Up to four teachers from KS2 (Years 3-6) in each school will have access to professional development webinars and support resources across a 10-week period. Given its nature, this programme is also suitable for pupils in KS3. The provision for multiple delegates will support in-school capacity to extend and develop the teaching of spelling across the school and have sustained impact on writing standards. Each webinar is recorded if ‘attendance’ at the live event is not possible.
*All Hertfordshire maintained schools will be provided with a £150 funded subsidy.
- improving the standards in spelling for a group of target pupils
- enabling pupils to have a more positive relationship with spelling, boosting motivation and by extension writing performance
- improve writing standards, and the number of pupils meeting statutory expectations
- developing memory strategies to support pupils in storing their learning in their long-term memory, and accessing and applying this learning in independent writing
- developing teachers’ subject knowledge in order for them to be able to identify pupils’ misconceptions accurately, and prioritise key learning areas for individuals
- demonstrating how to implement and manage a whole-class teaching sequence that meets the varying needs of individuals
- enhancing pupil’s word awareness in terms of construction and meaning-making to support wider language comprehension
Delegates should begin to reflect on four potential focus pupils, with major gaps evident in their current spelling performance, to work with during the programme, and collate independent writing samples for those pupils.
The cost of this training is £350 (excluding VAT) per school for up to four delegates. *Hertfordshire maintained schools will be provided with a £150 funded subsidy.
Wednesday 15 September 2021
||Session Start Time
|Wednesday 22 September 2021
|Thursday 21 October 2021
|Wednesday 8 December 2021
Maximum places per establishment