Train the trainer for secondary teaching assistants (mathematics)
Karen Gordon, William Thallon
Cover Supervisors/Managers / Heads of Department/Faculty / Middle Leaders / Senior Leaders / Teaching Assistants
Academies and Schools (including EYFS)
Mathematics / Special Educational Needs
An opportunity for teaching assistants, as a group, to learn how best to support the students when providing catch up intervention across all year groups in secondary mathematics.
Early interventions help students to catch up and perform better across the curriculum. They also help with confidence and reduce maths anxiety. Delegates will gain familiarity and confidence in using tried-and-tested strategies which are backed up by evidence. This course is about supporting students with gaps in their mathematical understanding by 'making maths come alive!' and by using targeted approaches to tackle fundamental errors and misconceptions.
This will be a valuable opportunity for teaching assistants, with the guidance and input of Herts for Learning’s specialist advisers.
- to develop practice in supporting students’ mathematical development and self-confidence by providing a model for mathematics intervention
- to support the identification of specific areas of mathematics that can prevent students achieving expected levels of progress
- to increase students’ rates of progress by using targeted approaches to tackle fundamental errors and misconceptions
- to establish fundamental building blocks to assist in accessing more difficult topics later in the key stage
The cost of this course is funded and is for Hertfordshire state schools only.
Delegates will be required to attend all five sessions on the dates given below:
- Tuesday 30th November 2021 from 9:30am - 2:30pm
- Monday 24th January 2022 from 9:30am - 2:30pm
- Monday 21st March 2022 from 9:30am - 2:30pm
- Tuesday 3rd May 2022 from 9:30am - 2:30pm
- Tuesday 28th June 2022 from 9:30am - 2:30pm
Monday 29 November 2021
Maximum places per establishment