Raising writing standards in Years 4 and 5: winning at writing Key Stage 2
Michelle Nicholson, Martin Galway, Jane Andrews
Assessment Coordinators/Leaders / Assistant Headteachers / Classroom Teachers / Middle Leaders
Academies and Schools (including EYFS)
This innovative and sharply focused programme of study is designed to support writers in Years 4 and 5 to meet age-related expectations in terms of word and phrase choice, sentence structure and overall composition. Drawing upon our highly successful work in reading fluency, the approaches and resources are designed to develop writing fluidity, stamina, and confidence.
Teachers will be provided with three sequences of lessons. These sequences include 20 detailed lessons with a range of resources and a variety of innovate approaches to support the focus pupils with the skills and confidence required for age-related writing. The lessons are designed to be delivered as whole-class teaching or used for targeted support. Teachers will benefit from a heightened awareness, and deeper subject knowledge of the principles and elements that support precise, effective writing, and as such has the potential to support whole-school development of writing.
To support implementation of this programme, the training will help participants consider the core aspects and transferable skills in writing. There will be an opportunity to familiarise with the lesson content of the programme of study and ask questions. Online support will be made available during the programme.
Please note that this programme focuses intensively on the writing skills that underpin technically precise and effective composition – it is not designed to address spelling or handwriting issues.
- increase the proportion of pupils achieving ARE+ in the Year 4 & 5 classroom
- provide participants with a sharp focus on key aspects of writing development that will make the most difference
- familiarise participants with the three teaching sequences (plans and resources) that make up the programme of study.
- develop confident, expressive writers who make authorial choices with precision and accuracy
- have a clear sense of direction and rhythm to their writing
- write with the reader in mind
- make effective use of a wider range of grammatical choices
- show greater motivation and stamina in writing
It may be useful to have samples of writing from struggling writers to hand, in order consider the elements discussed within the webinar.
The cost of this training is £225 (+VAT) for the first delegate and £170 (+VAT) for each additional delegate per school.
Wednesday 8 December 2021
||09 December 2021
||13:00 - 15:45
||27 January 2022
||15:30 - 17:00
||24 March 2022
||13:00 - 15:30
Maximum places per establishment